Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I have a Website!

I got started blogging when I had to take classes in order to teach online. I received a Master Certificate in Online Teaching from University of Illinois last year. The program consisted of 6 courses, all online, covering various aspects of online teaching. I had to take a technology course and for that I had to create a blog; that was the beginning of this endeavor. Additionally, I had to create a podcast. That was a challenge! I did it and it had to be hosted on a site and have an RSS feed on iTunes and the whole bit. I now look back with wonder that I was able to do that because I couldn't do it again today, I'm afraid.      

While I only made one podcast, it was an English lesson, of course, as that is my profession. However, I continued using the podcast site with my face-to-face classes. I added grammar lessons as we did them and then found YouTube videos that went along with the grammar practice. So now, we spend our time in class practicing reading, writing and speaking and just go to computers to do the grammar.      

Unbelievably enough, the site has gotten over 20,000 visitors! I am shocked and amazed. Some of my students have told me they posted it on their Facebook pages, and the Dean of my program at City Colleges added it to our Adult Ed website. When school started on January 14th, it was just turning over to 10,000. Today, a mere 3 months later, it's almost doubled that number. I have to say, the wonders of the internet never cease to astound me.      

My one and only podcast is at the very bottom of the page under Non-Action Verbs, if you're interested take a look/or listen, at:

http://shaylo99.podbean.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment